The Collaborative Solutions for Communities established the Gang Intervention Partnership (GIP) in 2003. GIP was formed as part of the District of Columbia’s US Department of Justice Weed and Seed strategy in partnership with the Washington, DC Metropolitan Police Department and the US Attorney’s Office of Washington, DC. The GIP model recognizes trusting relationships are essential to strong families and safe communities. Based on Boston’s 10 Point Coalition “Boston Miracle”, GIP combines focused street outreach and intelligence gathering, safe and confidential information sharing among systems, intensive family and youth support services, and community based activities to re-establish community norms of peace.
Gang Intervention Partnership
- Violence is Preventable.
- Understanding The Big Picture leads to identifying the root causes of violence and helps develop strategy to end violence.
- Multi-system Partnerships are necessary to begin the process of healing, restore broken trusts and sustain peace.
- Focused Outreach – consistent street outreach to engage most at-risk young people in positive relationships and direct them to desired resources.
- CSC Web of Support for individual
- Critical Incident Meeting – scales the potential for retaliatory violence and puts into action the most credible strategy to reduce the likelihood of retaliation.
- Case Management – intensive family support services for victim, family and friends of victim, and persons considering retaliation.
- Cool Down – coordination of community-based activities and outreach efforts to restore community norms of peace.
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy / Interviewing Skills
- Thoughtful use of open-ended, strength based inquiries that stresses what’s possible over repetition of the problems facing an individual, family, community.
- National Street Outreach Certification
- Maintaining professional relationships with youth and connecting them to support systems and resources.
- Critical Incident Meeting
- A multi-disciplinary team uses Solution-Focused skills to scale retaliation risk and generates strategy to prevent retaliation.
- Family Group Conferencing
- A Restorative Practice equips a family with the tools to heal and begin the process to make plans to become safe
Once again thank you for you generous actions towards our community and also Rubios' bright and ambitious mind, I owe both of you a lot and hope to give back to our wonderful community one day.DC Cosmos Player
Thank you Ms. Penny.
I have become a better person because of soccer. You learn something new in every game, and your teammates become your family and you work harder and harder to get them wins.DC Cosmos Player